I am usually a very deep sleeper, meaning that I could literally sleep through a bad thunderstorm and not be affected by it. However, last night I kept waking up because Hershey was acting weird and out of his usual routine. He would sleep for a few hours, get up and go downstairs to get a drink of water. This time it took him a while to get upstairs (he would pause after every few steps) and then proceeded in making more funny sounds. My instinct was to hop out of bed and switch on all the lights and also wake Hubs up. I've never been so frightened for our dog after what I discovered. His 'boy' part was swollen and completely exposed. We started researching emergency veterinary offices near us, found one, and their website said "We speak English" - perfect. Thankfully, the doctor on call spoke perfect English (as advertised) and told us to meet at the office in thirty minutes. Hubs scrambled to get dressed while I called a taxi service for him to get there. The doctor said that we were lucky, because if we would have waited til opening hours, it would have been much much worse. With boy bits exposed like that, Hershey could lose blood circulation to the area and if not treated immediately could result in amputation. Oh my goodness. Hubs's got back home a little after 3:00 AM and we had to closely monitor Hershey in shifts for the rest of the morning. Needless to say, we both had to call out sick today.